What is the most important thing to run a successful restaurant business? The points that come to our mind are taste and the quality of service. Undoubtedly, these factors have a great impact on business prosperity.
Apart from this, what matters most is convenience. Convenience is the ability to order food from anywhere anytime that brings the services to your doorstep.
So, what do you think is a better way to handle this to get this convenience and create a WordPress restaurant online ordering website?
It’s none other than an online food ordering system. Online ordering options allow restaurants and businesses to serve their customers through a mobile app or website.
This is a perfect way to eliminate physical barriers between customers and restaurants, thereby making it easier to order and deliver food from the comfort of your couch.
Setting up an online ordering system might sound complicated. But in fact, with quite a few steps it’s easy to set up in no time.
In this article, we will show you a step-by-step guide on how to set up online food ordering for restaurants using WordPress.
So, let’s get started with the basics of what you’ll need.
What you will need to set up online food ordering?
1. Create a WordPress website
WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems in the world that is used to create different kinds of websites. So, if you are looking for a restaurant with online ordering, it’s easy to start with WordPress.
Then, check for the hosting services for your website and register for a domain name. We recommend Bluehost as one of the best hosting providers as it offers a good deal of options.
You get a free domain name, free SSL, and 60% off discount on web hosting.
Click here to check the exclusive deal available with Bluehost.
2. Install a WooCommerce plugin
WooCommerce is one of the most popular eCommerce platforms in the world and also a free plugin for WordPress.
By installing WordPress, you can convert your WordPress site into an online store with products, online payments, and order management options for your restaurant.
It is user-friendly, highly customizable, and offers great features to create all kinds of products.
Setting up Online Food Ordering WordPress website
Once you are done with the WordPress website set up, you can easily add an online website for the customers to order food in multiple ways.
But, the easiest way to set up an online ordering system in WordPress is by installing a specialized plugin for the same. It will help you to feature a list of food items that you want to make available for your delivery to the customer.
Below we will discuss the steps to set up an online food ordering system in simple steps.
1. Install and activate the plugin
Either you can purchase a premium plugin or download a free plugin from the WordPress repository. You can find the list of some of the prominent plugins here.
First, you have to download the plugin zip file, install it, and then activate the plugin. Here, we will be using the free restaurant plugin RestroPress to add an online ordering system for your restaurant.
This plugin adds a custom post type that helps to add food items organized into categories along with payment options, email notifications, taxes, and delivery fee options.
Once you have set up your restaurant’s options you will be able to track payment and order status from your dashboard.
2. Create a list of food items
Once the plugin is activated, a page to display food items will be automatically created by the plugin. To add a new food item, go to Food Items and then click on Add New.
Then add here the name, description, image, price, and other details of the food item.
3. Add categories to the food item
You can create a new category for the food item by clicking on Add New Category button. It helps to ease the customer in ordering the restaurant menu. You can add categories like starters, drinks, appetizers, mains, etc.
To create a separate food category, go to Food Items and then Categories, add the required details and click the Add New Food Category button.
Once all the details are added, you can publish the food item. An unlimited number of items can be published with their respective categories.
4. Configure the plugin settings
Under Settings >> General tab, you can select the page that displays the food items along with other pages.
Also, you can specify the store location on this page.
In General settings, you can set minimum order restrictions depending on your store strategy. You will also find options to set up the currency, order notifications, service, and checkout options.
Another essential part of the online ordering system is payment gateways. You can enable the desired options and display icons of different payment methods on the checkout page.
Under section Emails, you can set up and configure email notifications according to your needs.
The plugin also provides a Taxes section that helps you to control how taxes are being collected from the sale of food items.
5. Customize the navigation menu
After adding all the food items, you can add them to the navigation menu by clicking on Appearance then Menus so that customers can find a customizable food menu on the website’s frontend.
Once you click the Food Items option, you will see a list of items that you can add to your cart and place the order.
Then you will be redirected to the checkout page to add the address details and choose the payment method. Then the next step is to click on the Place Order button.
6. Manage the orders
You have to go RestroPress and then click on the Orders section to view all the orders. Then, you can customize the orders as you wish and manage them accordingly.
Push notifications are a great way to notified about incoming orders. If you have set up these notifications, then you will receive them when a new order arrives.
Here, you can control the notification sound, icon, etc. according to your preference.
7. Additional options for better order management
Here, you will be provided with various additional options to make your online ordering easier to manage.
- Desktop App – There is RestroPress – Order Tracking Desktop App that helps to manage the online ordering process through desktop and print labels when an order is received.
- Mobile Devices – To achieve convenience through an online ordering app in mobile, you can go for GloriaFood Plugin.
- Help Desk – While managing orders, the customer will connect with you before and after placing an order. In this case, you will need a help desk system. It would be very beneficial to help customers with queries on menus, order placement, and feedback.
- Food images – It is important to use images to depict your foods in the ordering system. The quality of photos does have a huge impact on the conversion rate.
- Restaurant themes – Choosing the best WordPress restaurant themes is another good way in maintaining an online ordering system.
- Option for Tips – Collecting tips for your delivery person is another priority while managing online orders. Most of the plugins have add-on options or premium extensions to collect tips. The extension provided by RestroPress is RestroPress – Tips.
- Managing delivery zones – There are always additional extensions available to manage your delivery zones for food delivery. With RestroPress, you can try the Delivery Zone and Fees extension.
- Managing delivery personnel – To effectively manage delivery personnel, use Delivery Drivers for the WooCommerce plugin available in the WordPress repository.
- Providing Discounts & Offers – Discounts & special offers are a necessity to boost conversions and generate a speedy user experience in an online ordering system. With this, you will be able to set up dynamic pricing and discounts on your food menu items. Here are some of the best WooCommerce dynamic pricing plugins to try out.
Online ordering and food delivery have increased and taken a big turn over the past few years. With an online presence, you will enrichen the customer experience by making the process of placing orders quite easier.
Presently, online delivery is the only way for many restaurants to keep serving their hungry customers.
All you need is a good web presence that will make you stand out in the search
engine rankings and attract more customers to you. It will improve efficiency,
growth, and a steady increase in revenue for online businesses.
With all its utilities and features, an online ordering system also helps to create a brand image of their restaurant and mark a position for themselves in the digital marketplace.
To conclude, it could be well said that online ordering is a boon for restaurant owners.