Featured images in the WordPress website are images which are also known as post thumbnails. It is possible to hide these featured images for a while from your respective WordPress post.
The WordPress themes control the featured image option and therefore sometimes you can simply hide the featured images without using any plugin.
However, if your WordPress website does not have this feature then there are other methods to hide featured images from WordPress posts. Check out some of the alternative ways to hide respective featured images.
Option to hide the featured image in the WordPress theme
Instead of deleting an image from a WordPress post, one may want to hide it temporarily. The option which helps to control and manage featured images is available on different things offered by WordPress. Many themes have an option of hiding featured images from a particular post.
However, not all of the themes are equipped with this feature and therefore one needs to follow certain steps to check for this option:
Visit the dashboard of your WordPress website.
In the dashboard, click on the posts option and then click on the all posts option.
After this find an option that says edit on any particular post from your WordPress website.
On the right side of the main page, you will find a preview button and other similar options on the post you selected in the previous step.
If you are able to find an option that says hide featured images under the post settings then you can hide featured images directly from your posts.
In case your theme does not offer to hide featured images then you can install the plugins mentioned in the next section of the article.
Hiding featured image from a WordPress post using plugins
There are many ways and plugins offered by WordPress that will offer you the facility to hide featured images from your respective WordPress posts. However, many of these plugins are not convenient to use and are also so outdated.
Conditionally display featured images on singular posts and pages Plugin
All you need to do is follow the following simple steps to hide featured images from WordPress posts.
- The first step is to visit the dashboard of your WordPress website and click on the add new option in the plugins menu.
- In the plugins menu, you will be able to see a search bar where you need to type, ‘conditionally display featured image’ to find the right plugin.
- Once you find the respective again you have to install it.
- The next step is to activate the just installed plugin.
- Once you are done installing and activating your plugin, you have to go to the ‘All Posts’ option in your WordPress dashboard.
- Now you have to select the particular post in which you want to hide the featured image.
- Visit the featured image option under the right side of the preview button.
- You will find an option saying, ‘Display featured image in post lists only, hide on singular views’. By clicking this option the featured image of the respective post will be hidden.
Hide featured image plugin
If you are looking for another plugin with the same purpose then you can also go with the popular plugin, ‘Hide featured image’. Let us check out some simple steps to use this plugin to hide featured images from your WordPress posts.
- Visit the dashboard of your WordPress website and choose the plugins menu option.
- Once you are at the plugins menu option then you need to click on the ‘Add new’ button after which you will be shown a search bar.
- In that search bar, you have to type the plugin name that is ‘Hide featured image.’
- Once you find the particular plugin, you have to install and activate it on your WordPress website.
- After successfully activating the ‘Hide featured image’ plugin all you need to do is visit the post for which you need to hide the image.
- Reach for the edit menu of the particular post and click on the post edit screen option.
- In this option, you will find a meta box saying, ‘Show/Hide Featured Image’.
- After checking on the box which is right next to the Hide featured image option you will notice that the featured image from the post will be successfully hidden.
The most important benefit of this plugin is that it is also effective on the posts which are customized and have support images.
Quick Featured Images Plugin
Another plugin which is good for managing featured images is, ‘Quick featured images‘. This convenient plugging manager features images as well as help in editing them to make the WordPress post look more attractive. It also provides many additional features that could be useful for WordPress posts.
The following steps can be followed if you wish to add or remove a featured image from any of the WordPress posts using “Quick featured images plugin”.
- Visit the dashboard of your WordPress website.
- Click on the plugins option and then click on add new option.
- After this, a search bar will appear on the top right of your screen where you have to type ‘quick featured images’.
- Once you find the quick featured images plugin click on it and install it on your website.
- After installing the plugin, activate it.
- Once you are done activating the plugin then go to the All posts option from the main menu.
- After this check for the post option settings and choose to remove the featured image option.
This plugin is convenient when it comes to removing, adding, editing, or even changing the featured images in the WordPress posts.
These plugins are simple yet effective methods to hide the featured images in your WordPress posts. The best part about using these plugins is that they are continuously updated and are far more convenient to use than other plugins which are made for the same purpose.