CMS, also known as Content Management System, is a platform that helps in creating a website without using and understanding the codes. If you belong to a non-technical background, then this system of management of content is for you. There are a lot of options available for Content Management which means it might be difficult for you to find the best CMS for your website.
In this article, we explain to you why it is essential to find the right CMS platform for your website. We will bring you a comparative analysis of the best CMS platforms.
First of all, we must try to understand what is a CMS platform and how it helps us in website management!
What is a CMS platform?
The content management system is nothing but a software platform that allows a non-technical website owner to manage the content on their website easily.
Now the question arises that how to choose which CMS platform is best for your website.
How to choose a CMS Platform?
There are multiple CMS platforms available, and picking one is not easy. You must know the ups and downs of every CMS platform that can be suitable for the website you create, so here are a few tips and tricks that you must know while choosing a CMS.
1. Easy to use
First of all, CMS should be easy to use. The programming language and coding is already a very formidable job. You should forever opt for a user-friendly platform. The program must help you to develop the website without a fuss. The simple drag and drop interface are the best systems for stemming the elements on the pages. The method should be quick straight forward and easy to understand by the developer of the website.
2. Wide range of customization
The CMS software that you use should offer you plenty of designing options. With the extensive range of customized designs, you can develop very delightful pages without much coding and that difficulty.
3. Flexibility in file transfer
It is a basic feature that suitable CMS platforms should exhibit. CMS platforms should be flexible in exporting and importing data from one source to another. If you plan to change your hosting company or the domain, then data portability provided by reliable CMS platforms makes this process easier and feasible.
4. Adding plugins and software
Another noteworthy feature that reasonable CMS platforms should provide to the users is that there must be a great choice in extending and adding the plugins to fix a problem. There is various software available that you can install on your CMS platform and expand the features and add new plugins whenever you need them. This flexibility of adding extensions can tremendously improve your website performance.
5. Customer support
While availing of the services of any CMS platform, you must get yourself known to the fact how glorious are the customer services. If the CMS platform doesn’t provide Big support over the time of day and night, then there is a problem. A platform that serves just some FAQs and customer services with slow response time is not worthwhile.
And lastly, the most valuable aspect is the cost of the CMS platform services. Try to find a CMS platform that is not too costly and also fulfills the requirement of your website. Although, there are some CMS platforms available free of cost while others charge a monthly fee. The free CMS platforms would require a third-party extension for designing and web hosting services. Hence, it is better to go for a paid version and choose simplicity over complexity. Always try to find the prices in the market for different options and then pick the one that is suitable for your pocket.
The Best CMS Platforms for Web Development in 2020 are:
According to us, wordpress.org is the best CMS platform for website development. WordPress.org is different from wordpress.com WordPress.org is free to use. It was developed precisely for blogging websites. But now it is used for all sorts of websites and e-commerce sites. WordPress.com is specific for Blog hosting only. WordPress.org powers over 38% of the websites globally.
- The technical requirements are very straightforward. WordPress requires servers running version 7.4 or greater of PHP and my SQL version 5.6 or Maria DB version 10.1 or greater. Apache or Nginx is recommended for robust performance, but neither is compulsory.
- The installation process is very brief, quick, and undemanding. Within 5 minutes the process of installation is complete, and WordPress is set-up. WordPress.org provides a handy guide to understand the process of installation and usage.
- The massive advantage of WordPress CMS is that it provides the scope of adding more apps and software. These plugins can be downloaded easily from various sites and integrated with WordPress sites.
- WordPress.org offers flexibility and the choice to build any type of website such as an online store, quizzing sites, musical band websites, photography websites, etc.
- No technical or coding skills are required to develop WordPress sites. The block editor of WordPress allows you to create beautiful pages for your website.
- Some earn extravagantly via WordPress eCommerce websites.
- A substantial aspect of developing a website is making it a successful website. WordPress platform is designed in such a way that is SEO optimized. You can create an SEO-friendly website, URLs, tags, categories for posts, and many more.
- WordPress is an open-source CMS and enjoys huge support from the community.
- You can download the content in different formats like XML format on WordPress.
- You will have to manage hosting and domain name and also security and backups for your website.
- For beginners, WordPress can be a little tricky at the start. Most of the beginners use the drag and drop page builder plugin that helps in page development for WordPress.
WordPress is a free CMS platform. However, if you need a domain name it can cost you around $9 to $15 per year. Hosting an account with the web host on WordPress normally costs $7.99 per month. If you want to integrate a web hosting service such as Bluehost, the cost can be $2.75 per month that would include free domain and free SSL.
Note: Read our guide on WordPress over the years
Joomla is a famous and open source CMS platform with multiple dynamic features. It is free to use but will require a hosting and domain name. Established in the year 2005 and since then has been doing great for the past 15 years. Just like wordpress.org, it is easy to install. It is not ideal for beginners. Solely for experienced website creators that can work effortlessly.
- It has a wide range of flexibility and plenty of customization options. It is an ideal choice for building complex websites.
- It is useful for developers in many ways. For those who are not technical experts and do not know coding can edit their content easily.
- It also helps in running online stores and plugins that are available to execute this task.
- It is not suitable for beginners since the usage is intricate. You might need to hire a professional while using this CMS platform.
- WordPress provides hundreds of free and paid themes. Joomla doesn’t have such an extension adding functionalities. There are limits to add additional software.
- The integration between the extensions models and the platform can be difficult.
It is a free CMS platform. However, you might need to pay for the domain name and web hosting that supports it. You can use a hosting plan by Siteground that extends some unusual features.
You will have to pay for extensions when you add functionalities to your website. Professional help or expert might be needed to achieve the goals.
A very celebrated and friendly CMS platform in the world is WooCommerce. It is not precisely a CMS platform, but instead is a plugin integrated along with WordPress. So when you use WordPress for your site and want to run an eCommerce market, you would need a WooCommerce plugin. Woocommerce has 5.8 % of the market share. It is a significant percentage.
- Excellent software that is available for free but the hosting name and domain would be required to run this software.
- Various themes for the WooCommerce website are available so you can make it look exactly the way you want.
- It has extensions available so that you can add extra functions to your site.
- You can make your business big through WooCommerceyou can sell products among different people in different regions of the world.
- You can keep track of your business efficiently.
- You can add payment gateways via plugins and add-ons. However, PayPal and stripe payment modes are present by default.
- Technically, WooCommerce is a plugin used with the WordPress website. You can extend your WordPress site by including the WooCommerce plugin.
- The purpose of WooCommerce is solely for online business. However, if you want to include different categories on your website, you should go for wordpress.org.
The plugin is free, but extra payment would be required when you download it as an extension from an online store.
The domain name and hosting account also require extra payment. Bluehost is a great choice when you pick WooCommerce as your CMS platform.
Drupal is a splendid open-source CMS platform. The Economist and University websites are handled by this platform. This platform works perfectly fine for those who can handle a lot of data and also need high customization. It is an excellent choice for developers who can hire experts to examine the website.
- The most significant advantage is user management. A system is inbuilt that can handle few jobs and specific permissions.
- Active support is available through community and other similar popular platforms.
- This platform easily adds content. The customization options are flexible with plenty of choices.
- Several models are available that you can integrate with your website exactly like a WordPress website.
- Not a user-friendly platform for beginners. While WordPress was handy to use by anyone, Drupal can be tricky.
- The cost can be way too much for heavily customized themes and websites.
It is free to install and can transfer an existing site on Drupal. The plugin options might cost extra money.
BigCommerce is an E-Commerce platform that is sometimes called an all-in-one platform due to its unique features. Even for beginners, it is easy to use it for staff BigCommerce hosts the site and provides an actual CMS platform. It is also efficient in providing security backup and Restoration for you.
- Before purchasing, you can try your hands on the trial version.
- BigCommerce provides a free domain name or, you can pay for a custom domain name.
- The payment options are PayPal, Apple pay, Amazon Pay, credit card, debit card, etc.
- Bigcommerce is a plugin used with WordPress. So you can install WordPress and download BigCommerce as an add-on.
- Bigcommerce is an uncontrolled online store. It doesn’t permit you to make changes as much as WooCommerce. The themes and plugins are limited. You might require a third-party intervention to grow your business.
- The pricing plan would rise as you make progress in your business full stop there for the budget, and expenses might increase more than expected.
To use BigCommerce, you need a monthly subscription. It is not a cost-effective platform as compared to other services available. The pricing starts at $29.95 per month and can go up to $50k per year sales. The expensive plan is $249.85 per month, which covers up to $400k in sales. You can go for a custom enterprise plan.
Shopify is a CMS platform and works just like WooCommerce and BigCommerce.
You don’t need to buy hosting for installation, setup software for manager updates, restorations, and backups. It is a simple drag and drop interface platform. It is an online store sales platform.
- Shopify allows the integration of extensions.
- Multiple themes are available for designing the Shopify websites. You can also buy apps and at the features of your online store.
- The active 24/7 customer support is available via e-mail, telephone, Twitter, live chat, etc. Online guides, video tutorials, and forums are there to help you with the usage of the software.
- Credit cards and debit cards are acceptable on Shopify. PayPal is also available as a default payment option.
- The platform is costly, specifically when you add plugins and apps to your online store.
- The addition of functionalities is not available so unequivocally.
- The WordPress plugins are far better than Shopify.
BigCommerce and Shopify have almost similar subscription plans. The difference is that Shopify doesn’t move up your plan based on the figures for sales. The pricing plan starts at $29 per month. The most expensive plan is $299 per month. The expensive plan includes most of the features. However, some discounts may also be added later.
The Blogger was developed in 1999, and from then it has created a reputation in the website industry. It was devised for blogging websites only. It is a free CMS platform provided by Google. The domain name for a blogger is Blogspot, although you can choose a customized domain name as well.
- Blogger is an easy to manage CMS platform.
- It is convenient to design and publish a post within minutes.
- A wide range of widgets and gadgets are available that you can add to your blog free of cost.
- You can include a contact form and advertisements on your blogging site.
- There is no requirement for installation or an upgrade.
- The payment is also not needed.
- There is no limit to the number of posts you publish.
- The images are stored in Google drive.
- The biggest drawback is that it is dedicated to blogging websites only. In case you want to develop a different website, Blogger won’t help you.
- The themes are available for free, but they are fundamental in design. You would require to modify them and create different styles of the page, but you cannot create self-designed themes. You need to hire a designer for customized things.
- You have to copy your pages manually when you switch your CMS platform from blogger 2 WordPress. It is a tedious job.
There is nothing to worry about the price here. Blogger is free to use but only charges money when you buy a custom domain name. If you have plans to move your site away from Blogger to another site, then you must get the domain name from the domain registrar and not from the Blogger itself.
The Ghost is a wonderful CMS platform. It is designed for bloggers and content writers. The Ghost is known for the exceptional quality of changing the content layout when viewing from a laptop, desktop, and mobile phone. If you are not a website developer, then you should not worry about the content presentation. The Ghost manages this for you.
- Ghost is a content editor and publishing CMS platform. It uses cards just the way WordPress uses a block editor. The Ghost supports SEO. No extra plugins are required for this task.
- Markdown is used while writing in a Ghost editor. It makes the process of formatting and adding special characters easier.
- The ghost lacks flexibility. WordPress is far more flexible and feature-rich when compared to Ghost.
- The Ghost started well as a striking CMS platform for blogging, but soon it became complicated when the readers pay for subscriptions.
The software is available for free you can download and use it. You will need a domain name and web hosting. You have to pay for these services. Ghost lacs support from many web hosts. Ghost hosting starts at $36 per month. For extra subscribers and buyers, you need to upgrade the subscription to $249 per month.
Which CMS platform is best?
Among all the CMS platforms, we believe that wordpress.org is the ideal CMS platform and website builder for any website user. Most of the websites around the world are supported by the WordPress platform. Almost 38% of the websites are managed by WordPress.
WordPress is the preferred choice among website developers due to the perfect reasons it provides. The platform is easy to install and use. It provides a one-click service. The functionality of extending the add-ons and plugins makes it a preferable choice.
Note: Read our guide on Backup & Restore: The Step by Step Guide to WordPress backups in 2020
WordPress can help you make a lot of money e online. It is an ideal platform to run E-Commerce shops, online stores, developing auction sites, marketplaces, and many more similar features.
Over the years, WordPress has improved itself, and it is occupying as the CMS platform for websites. Once you get started on wordpress.org and gain comfortable popularity through them, you can upgrade your hosting to managed WordPress hosting.
WordPress recommends Bluehost as the recommended web hosting services. You can ideally start to create your website on wordpress.org along with Bluehost as a web-hosting service.
Note: Read our guide on How to Back-up your WordPress Websites?
If you found this article helpful, let us know in the comments section below. And make sure you follow WP Uber for the latest updates on WordPress.
WP Uber is a WordPress management agency that provides detailed site health reports and customized security solutions for WordPress sites.